02 March 2008

The global warming debate

We have a good friend visiting us this weekend and, not surprisingly, we have spent a considerable amount of time discussing politics. One "hot" topic of discussion this weekend has been global warming (pardon the pun).

Personally, I am not sure where I stand on the issue. The earth may be warming but I am unclear as to the reasons for these changes. I am a scientist, however, my specialty is not in atmospheric science nor climate issues. I have done some reading on the various opinions of the factions in the scientific community who are currently debating the issue of global warming and, at the very least, I'd have to say that the issue is far from decided with no clear consensus among atmospheric scientists. However, if you listen to the left in this country and the media (one in the same) global warming is the biggest issue that threatens humanity. Based on the data that I have read, I really don't think we have a good handle on the issue of global warming or what is "driving" it (pun intended).

I don't often depend on Wikipedia for my information but I do think that Wikipedia strongly illustrates the fact that there is a serious debate about global warming and that the issue it nowhere near settled.

Here is a list of Wikipedia links which I think illustrates my point that the jury is still out on the issue of global warming:

Global warming


Scientific opinion on climate change
- this link contains the list of the many who agree that global warming is occurring and is due to human activity.

Global warming controversy

List of scientists opposing the mainstream scientific assessment of global warming

Anyway, from what I can tell the issue is hardly settled. Interestingly, I agree with John McCain on this issue. During a presidential debate he was asked the question about those who oppose global warming. McCain essentially argued that we'd have a cleaner environment if we worked to combat global warming and global warming turned out to be untrue.

I am definitely for a cleaner planet. For instance, yesterday we took my kids to the beach and I spent a few minutes picking up garbage that some slobs decided wasn't worth throwing in the numerous garbage cans that were in the area. For anyone who has littered - you are a friggin slob!!!

Again, I think that we should all be better "stewards of the environment." However, being a libertarian, I worry about how much the government wants to get involved in preventing a phenomenon which is far from settled. I'm not even comfortable with the government getting involved in issues in which there is a consensus!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

10,000 years ago, if I were sitting in my house here in upstate New York, there would be ONE MILE of ice over my head in the form of a glacier. Obviously, this warming has occurred from man's reckless use of SUV's over these past 100 centuries... and it needs to stop RIGHT NOW!!!

The next time you hear someone invoke the words 'global warming' in some context of environmental activism, replace the term with 'tectonic shift' and you can imagine how ridiculous this whole discussion is.

Global warming is a natural result of normal variation and large scale solar and geological physical forces. It is not the effect of man's activity.

-UB

Dan Pangburn said...

There is no historical data that supports the premise that human activity has any significant effect on climate. The observation of glaciers melting may look dramatic on TV but does not show that human activity is the cause. There is, however, substantial evidence that atmospheric carbon dioxide level does not significantly influence climate. You can check it out yourself. Credible websites are included in my post at http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/research/2008/perspectives.html

drken said...

Dan,
Good thoughts. While I tend to agree with you I merely wanted to make the point that there is a substantial divide and that there is certainly no consensus. My post was brought about by a conversation with a friend who believed the media hype and was surprised that there was no consensus as to the cause of global warming. I've even managed to convince my friend that more scientists are skeptics than believers. I will definitely check out the link which you sent. I assume you have no problem with me citing it in a future post.
drken

Kailash Chand said...

You blog is really good....I have also a blog on global warming which give information about global warming effects, what is global warming, global warming causes, prevent global warming, global warming hoax, global warming articles, fight global warming, global warming news, stop global warming.

drken said...

Thank you very much for the compliment. Your blog is very interesting - may I place a link to your blog on my blog?

 

Free Blog Counter